Really jazzed for my work to appear in Defunct, where so many of the cool kids’ work has been published over the years.
The idea behind Defunct is the writers have “interpreted ‘defunctness’ in their own often idiosyncratic ways and have brought back the dead, salvaged the past, revealed their obsessions as writers do.”
In my case, what’s defunct is my thyroid gland.
I talk about hypothyroidism, thyroids, Lydia Davis, the mind/body problem, a Famous Poet, and being middle class. The title is inspired by Lewis Thomas‘ great essay, “Late Night Thoughts on Listening to Mahler’s Ninth Symphony.”
- Stuff coming out soon and where they will appear. (danielnester.com)
- The Thyroid Gland Tragedy (bigsexymedia.com)
- Why Thyroid Problems Add Up With Age (everydayhealth.com)
- Underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism) (bupa.com.au)
- How can I tell if I have a problem with my thyroid gland? (zocdoc.com)
- Are You Thyroid Deficient? (drgodo.wordpress.com)
- Hashimoto’s thyroiditis (drbobghelfi.com)